Your Defense Is My Specialty
- Criminal Defense
Charlie started his legal career as a public defender in the Twin Cities metropolitan area. During his ten years as a public defender, Charlie represented clients charged with everything from simple driving offenses, driving while intoxicated, simple assaults, domestic assaults, felony assaults, sale and possession of narcotics, thefts, sex offenses, child pornography, and murder. The board of Public Defense recognized Charlie two years in a row as the attorney in the district with the most jury trials.
Charlie left the Public Defender's Office and joined a small firm practicing criminal defense and civil litigation. He eventually joined a large Minneapolis criminal defense firm where he worked for over three years. Charlie left the large firm to start his own firm, determining that a smaller, more individualized approach would provide clients with a better defense and most likely achieve better results.
Charlie also has considerable appellate experience. He has argued and won cases at the Minnesota Court of Appeals and the Minnesota Supreme Court.
Charlie has also served the legal community in numerous roles. He served as a Board member and as the President of the Ramsey County Bar Association. Charlie currently serves as the Bar Association's representative to the American Bar Association House of Delegates. He also serves on the Board of the Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. Charlie has previously worked as an adjunct professor at William Mitchell College of law. Charlie has also been recognized by his peers as a Super Lawyer.
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota
- J.D. - 1994
- Colby College, Maine
- B.A. - 1986
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1994
- Minnesota Supreme Court, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 2012
- Recognized Super Lawyer by his peers
Classes & Seminars
- Adjunct Professor, William Mitchell College of Law
- Public Defender’s Office
- Ramsey County Bar Association, Board Member and President
- American Bar Association House of Delegates
- Board of the Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Certified Legal Specialties
- Criminal Law Specialist , MSBA, 2018
Current Employment Positions